Holiday for Hermits is the best time to experience coastal Georgia’s beauty and adventure. The weather is perfect and each day is packed with interesting new experiences. It’s the ideal holiday gift for anyone wanting to relax and get away. Come for the day or stay a while. Overnight guests and the general public are welcome.
20% discounts apply on rooms booked for two or more nights.
SCHEDULE MAY VARY BECAUSE OF WEATHER OR THE UNFORESEEN. Reservations required.
Schedule of events
- Arrive in the afternoon to settle in, enjoy a forest walk, and be ready for an early start tomorrow. Wine reception for guests at 5 with a small plate dinner served at 6:30. Dinner $20.
- Arrive early, or come in Monday night to take advantage of this lovely morning paddle trip from 7:30-10:30 a.m. Morning 2-hour paddle trip followed by brunch at 10. $50. Guests $43.
- 11:00 a.m. Plantation Walking Tour
Enjoy an informative plantation walk that draws you into the remarkable history of Springfield Plantation, Georgia’s oldest intact plantation still owned by the family to whom it was granted by England's King George III in 1755. Tour led by an owner-descendent. Free for overnight guests; $7.50 for others.
- 2:30-3:30 Talk on American Indian heritage and lifestyle. See how their pots were made. $5. Guests free.
- 5 p.m. Guests’ reception at Palmyra Barn followed by a small plate supper at 6 o’clock. $20. Dessert, coffee, movie night and games at Live Oak Hall.
- 8:30-10:30 a.m. Early morning paddle. $40. Guests $33.
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Smuggler’s Cove Picnic Adventure
We’ll hike to Smugglers’ Cove for a picnic and stories about pirates, rum runners and other smugglers who lived here. Wagon ride home. $25. Guests $18. Reservations required.
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. Enjoy a walk in our heritage garden with a visit to our seed gardens to see how different planting methods have resulted. $5. Guests free.
- 5:00 p.m. Guests’ reception begins in Live Oak Hall with a glass of wine and jazz. Included in overnight rate.
- 6:30 p.m. Plantation Dinner and Camellia garden video
Savor the delicious flavors of our authentic plantation dinner featuring local specialties. Dessert and coffee by the fire are included. $45.
- Movie night at the Retreat
- 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.This morning kayak takes a look at five Colonial plantation sites and discusses what happened there. Early lunch is served afterward at The Barn. $55. Guests $48.
- 2:00-4:00 p.m. Wild Horse Hammock Hike & Hay Ride
We’ll hike where “marsh tackies" roamed. There’s a hay ride home. $15. Guests free. Then stay for wine ($7/glass) and hors d’oeuvres at the barn.
- 6:30 p.m. Coastal Seafood Dinner
A special coastal dinner is served at 6:30 composed of seafood and garden favorites. $45. Then, weather permitting, we’ll enjoy coffee at the fire pit on the bluff.
As the year closes, we’ll take this opportunity to offer some of our guests’ favorite activities.
- 7:20 a.m. Gather for a sunrise walk along the bluff before returning to The Barn for a delicious country breakfast. Free for guests.
9:30-11:30 a.m. Morning Kayak Excursion
There’s a morning paddle along the Dunham Farms’ basin that explains our conservation efforts for these five, gorgeous plantations. $40. Guests $32.
- 9:30 a.m. Plantation Walkabout. $7.50. No charge for guests.
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch. $20
- 1:30-4:30 p.m. Farm Tour
We’ll drive to Melon Bluff Plantation with its observation tower and historic rice fields. There, we’ll visit our National Register property, The Ripley Farm, where we grow the endangered Seminole Pea. Afterwards, we’ll visit award-winning Seabrook Village, the first African-American living history museum with its authentic one-room school and National Register Bowens’ Farm. Total for this fascinating, interactive historic tour is $20 including a $10 donation to Seabrook.
- 5:00 p.m. Magic Hour on the Dock & Farewell Dinner
At 5:00 we’ll gather on the dock for the magic of sunset and at 6:00 we’ll adjourn to Live Oak Hall for mulled wine and a 4-course farewell dinner including champagne toasts to the new year. $50.
- Brunch from 8:30-10 a.m. and check out at 11 a.m.
DAILY: OTHER ATTRACTIONS such as Fort. Morris, Midway and Sunbury, can be visited during their holiday hours. WE’LL HAVE INFORMATION AT THE DUNHAM FARMS DESK IN THE BARN.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND THANK YOU FOR LETTING US SHARE OUR BIT OF HEAVEN WITH YOU DURING 2016. PLEASE VISIT AGAIN. YOU HAVE LEFT US HAPPIER FOR HAVING KNOWN YOU AND WE WISH YOU ALL (happiness) GOOD HEALTH, JOY AND WISDOM IN THE COMING YEAR.
View Larger Map